Sunday, April 24, 2011

What's a Tridentine Mass?

Beginning of this year, I was introduced to the existence of a form of Holy Mass called the Tridentine Mass. Since then I've been reading up regarding the Holy Mass that was celebrated now and in the past.

The Novus Ordo Mass is the name of the new English Mass that Catholics celebrate now. Known as the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite, this Mass was promulgated by Pope Paul VI in 1969, sometime after Vatican II.

Before 1969, Catholics around the world used to celebrate Holy Mass exculsively in Latin. This Mass was called the Latin Mass, or Tridentine Mass. Now it is also known as the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite.

Since March, I have had the privilege of attending the Tridentine Mass here in my country. And I would love to relate to you my experience:

My first visit to a Tridentine Mass (13th March):
  • Once I stepped into the chapel, I could see veils on all the women's head, including the little girls'. No sexy skirts and spaghetti straps, no shorts and slippers. Women had to wear blouses with sleeves and also skirts that were below the knee length. 
  • When Mass started, I was really quite lost. That is how different both the old and new Mass are. Unlike the Novus Ordo Mass where the priest faces and speaks to the congregation almost at all times, the priests would face the Altar during most parts of the Tridentine Mass, praying softly to God for the congregation. Though, it was a blessing that my friend had the daily missal which had both English and Latin translation that we could follow.
  • There was definitely a very strong sense of reverence as everyone who walked past the Blessed Sacrament genuflected, even the little children. In the Novus Ordo, we see people who just walk past the Blessed Sacrament without the acknowledging our Lord who is present (well, I was one of them before). Also, the congregation does not chit chat after communion or when the sermon is being preached as if it were just another social event.
  • As for music, we had Propers to follow, we sang Gregorian chants, instead of random hymns selected as done in the Novus Ordo Mass.
As I reflected on the Tridentine Mass more and more, and compared it to the Novus Ordo Mass, I find it really sad how much has been lost since Tridentine Mass in the current Novus Ordo Mass. It was no wonder that they said that the new Mass really was a revolution!

Regarding attire, to one, all these 'rules' about attire may seem so unnecessary but, really without these so called rules, people attending the Novus Ordo Mass has misused the freedom. With all these jeans, and I'm-off-to-the-market attire, people have lost the reverence for the Lord, whose Pashal Mystery we celebrate.

With Tridentine Mass, the minute you step into the chapel, one would know immediately that it was sacred space and ground. Everything is different from the outside world. Its music, its atmosphere, its language...

No comments:

Post a Comment