Monday, April 11, 2011

But a spirit of power

Sitting on the pew yesterday during sunset Mass, I was conscious of veiling during mass despite having worn it twice already. A thought crossed my mind of going over to the left side of the church where there were less people there but hesitated. In the middle of the mass I felt a slight pressure on my right lower back and decided that was the Holy Spirit calling me to go and so I did.

Excited, I shared this experience with a friend after mass. He told me that that was probably just a coincidence. If it is the Truth, why did I have to only wear it at the side of the church? The Holy Spirit wouldn't have asked me to do that because He is a spirit of courage, not of timidity.

That made me upset initially, but as I reflected upon it, I found truth in what he said. And today I thought about this verse that I always knew through head knowledge only:

2 Timothy 1:7
 For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. 


This incident taught me how crucial it is to know the characteristics of the Holy Spirit. Otherwise, we would indeed be misled...

Read more about chapel veils here.

No comments:

Post a Comment