Wednesday, March 30, 2011

People change

I once asked a man how he could put up with his wife's occasionally absurd behaviour. He just smiled, as usual.

But that day, I added a different question to it. I asked if his wife was like that before they were married.

'No, she wasn't,' he replied. 'People change.'

Indeed, people change as time passes by. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worst.

During a session with Fr. Michael last November, while he was explaining on how relate to the teenagers/ kids during catechism, he said something that struck me. Through his many examples, he talked about marriage and said that if we truly love the other half, our love would compel us to change to love the other person who is changing.

And I thought to myself, 'Wow, that's so hard to do.' Imagine that I fell in love with him for who he was 5 years back, and now there's so many things that he used to do or say that he doesn't do anymore. And this is not the end.

Therefore, there's no such thing as 'Bah! I'd never change.' Cause people always change, through time, through circumstances, through familiarity...

Yes, writing this, I can't deny the fact that I have changed and will continue to too. The question I ponder - if I can love him that much to still love him when he changes, comes back to me: Will he be able to love me when I change?

(In the search of a picture for this post, I found this and am reminded of this verses):

Love is patient, love is kind. 
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  
It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking,
it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, 
always perseveres. 
1 Corinthians 13:4-7

No comments:

Post a Comment