Thursday, November 18, 2010

How I became a Catholic

I was born into a Chinese family where we followed Granny in the religious teachings of Taoism. When I was a kid, I remember Granny giving my mom these yellow papers with characters on them (called ‘hu’ in hokkien), folded into triangular shape for protection. Other days, we would follow Granny to the temple and help her carry basket of food and prayer items. On special dates, we would help Granny fold ‘money papers’ for the dead and prepare a feast for the ancestors at Granny’s house.

Those were the stronger religious background I grew up in during my childhood.

As for other part of my childhood, with regards to some of my Catholic relatives, my sister and I were often signed up for Christmas parties and children camps.

My maternal grandmother was baptized at her home with her family. Shortly after her baptism, she passed on due to her sickness. Thereafter, Mom and my aunt’s family started learning Catechism from a nun. And then, for my siblings and other cousins, we had our own Sunday school class with lots of colorings.

At the age of 12, God gave me the discernment to make a choice of faith. I used to pray to the Guang Yin statue on the way to my school every morning. In the night, I would often talk to my friend, Jesus. I asked  them both to help me make the right choice.

One day, just like that, I decided that it was Jesus whom I wanted to follow. After 3 years, I was baptized at the age of 15 together with Mom and my siblings.

It was not until years later when I realized my mistake - It was not I that chose Him then; God, my Father was the One who chose me that day..

You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you. 
John 15:16

1 comment:

  1. :) very true. Love came and found us, was lost but am found. so in order to be found, there must be SomeOne who has started finding us since we were born right?

    ReplyDelete