Tuesday, October 26, 2010

To shrug him off or not to?

After being seasoned with design work, my boss has higher expectations of me. Therefore, more than ever, my work load has been piling up as well as I rush to meet datelines of clients.

Amidst my work today, my colleague came to me with questions. It is very tempting to just shrug someone off or give the least of advice when being asked for it in the midst of all the busyness.

Nevertheless, I paused and thought about him. If there's one thing I have learned from my principal engineer who I've been working under for the past 2 months, it's his availability. Regardless of his tight schedule, each time I or my colleagues call to inquire about things (sometimes even regarding project irrelevant to him), he never ceases to welcome us.

And I thought, hey, that's how I want to be. Regardless of the work load, I should always offer that explanation to another colleague.

At the end of the day, as I was reading the chapter on 'Don't be too big to do something small' by Max Lucado in his book 'Cure for the Common Life', God surprised me with this verse which is definitely not a coincidence but arranged by Him:

If you think you are too important to help someone, you are only fooling yourself.
You are not that important.
~Galatians 6:3(NLT)~

I am familiar with the normal translation by NIV which says 'If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself'. But this translation from New Living Translation shed a new light on the verse for me.

Do you also struggle to help your colleagues when you're too busy?

1 comment:

  1. nice sharing :) this is a good reminder for me not to shrug ppl off.

    ReplyDelete