Sunday, August 14, 2011

Launching the Missal: Chant-anxiety


Jaymie Stuart Wolfe
Posted: 8/12/2011



Implementing the new English translation of the Roman Missal is beginning to cause -- and will continue to cause -- a bit of a stir. That's understandable. After all, reasonable people would expect that not every change will be received enthusiastically. And, that when it comes to the prayers we pray, change itself is likely to be a hard sell. For most of us, praying from the heart also means praying by heart. The prospect of being missal-bound, even for a brief period, is probably not something your average Catholic is looking forward to.

Read more here...

I know that everyone can chant because I have heard our own two-year-olds do it. I also know that only a very strange mother would teach her kids Gregorian chant. Maybe so; but chant has been part of our admittedly too-brief family prayers for years. Our kids learned how to chant because they heard it. I used to sing the Gregorian "Ave Maria" to them as a lullaby. (It makes a very good one, by the way.) Over the years, we've expanded our repertoire. Lately, we've been practicing the chants of the new Roman Missal together at home.

As I read this part, I remembered of when my little cousin chanted. And it is true, that it’s not too hard and easily followed even by the little ones.

Ah… when I have a family next time I would like to chant them to sleep too and teach them chants as they grow up. That would be so beautiful – a gift of God for the Catholic family.

No comments:

Post a Comment